Today, Engadget officially opens the application process for its third-ever Insert Coin: New Challengers competition, aimed at helping to make inventors’ dreams a reality. The contest brings together Engadget editors, readers and a panel of expert judges to help choose consumer tech’s next great gadget.
Inaugural competition winners, Ziphius, claimed both the Reader’s Choice and the Judge’s Choice at the first-ever Expand in San Francisco in 2013. Ziphius won a total of $25,000 in prizes and successfully secured full Kickstarter funding after its debut. Later that same year in New York, winners of the Judge's Choice and Reader's Choice awards from the second Insert Coin: New Challengers competition were DIWire and GrowCubes, also awarded a total of $25,000.
Aspiring inventors are invited to join their ranks by submitting their projects here from now until 11:59 p.m. ET on September 26, 2014. Prizes include cash to fund the winning project, an Engadget review and the chance to debut onstage in front of audience members, influencers and press at Expand New York on November 7-8, 2014.
Additional key dates include:
- 20 contenders announced—October 8
- Open online voting—October 8 through October 15
- 10 semi-finalists announced—October 17
- 10 semi-finalists will receive tickets to Expand NY, exhibition space on the show floor, a chance to demo projects live on stage and to an online audience of millions and a $1,000 travel stipend to help cover costs while appearing at the event.
- One Judges’ Choice winner will receive $10,000 and a product review on Engadget
- One Readers’ Choice winner will receive $15,000 and a product review on Engadget
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV