Today, Engadget officially opens the application process for its third-ever Insert Coin: New Challengers competition, aimed at helping to make inventors’ dreams a reality. The contest brings together Engadget editors, readers and a panel of expert judges to help choose consumer tech’s next great gadget.
Inaugural competition winners, Ziphius, claimed both the Reader’s Choice and the Judge’s Choice at the first-ever Expand in San Francisco in 2013. Ziphius won a total of $25,000 in prizes and successfully secured full Kickstarter funding after its debut. Later that same year in New York, winners of the Judge's Choice and Reader's Choice awards from the second Insert Coin: New Challengers competition were DIWire and GrowCubes, also awarded a total of $25,000.
Aspiring inventors are invited to join their ranks by submitting their projects here from now until 11:59 p.m. ET on September 26, 2014. Prizes include cash to fund the winning project, an Engadget review and the chance to debut onstage in front of audience members, influencers and press at Expand New York on November 7-8, 2014.
Additional key dates include:
- 20 contenders announced—October 8
- Open online voting—October 8 through October 15
- 10 semi-finalists announced—October 17
- 10 semi-finalists will receive tickets to Expand NY, exhibition space on the show floor, a chance to demo projects live on stage and to an online audience of millions and a $1,000 travel stipend to help cover costs while appearing at the event.
- One Judges’ Choice winner will receive $10,000 and a product review on Engadget
- One Readers’ Choice winner will receive $15,000 and a product review on Engadget