NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Nelnet
(NNI) shares are up 10.7% to $43.55 following the announcement of its intent to purchase CIT Group's
(CIT) Federal Family Education Loan Program for $3.6 billion.
The sale of the lending business includes the transaction of $2.6 billion in student loans and related assets and approximately $950 million of unsecuritized student loans.
Must Read: Warren Buffett's 10 Favorite Growth Stocks
The sale will increase Nelnet's student loan portfolio to over $29 billion.
The deal is expected to close later this month.
- NNI's revenue growth has slightly outpaced the industry average of 4.5%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 10.1%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- Compared to where it was a year ago today, the stock is now trading at a higher level, reflecting both the market's overall trend during that period and the fact that the company's earnings growth has been robust. Despite the fact that it has already risen in the past year, there is currently no conclusive evidence that warrants the purchase or sale of this stock.
- Current return on equity exceeded its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a clear sign of strength within the company. Compared to other companies in the Consumer Finance industry and the overall market on the basis of return on equity, NELNET INC has underperformed in comparison with the industry average, but has exceeded that of the S&P 500.
- The company, on the basis of net income growth from the same quarter one year ago, has underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and greatly underperformed compared to the Consumer Finance industry average. The net income increased by 24.5% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, going from $56.63 million to $70.52 million.
- The debt-to-equity ratio is very high at 17.98 and currently higher than the industry average, implying increased risk associated with the management of debt levels within the company.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: NNI Ratings Report
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV