In April 2013 it traded as low as $79.16, and on Nov. 22 of last year Occidental hit its 52-week high of $99.42. Since then it has traded in a range between $97.84 on the high side and as low as $85.90 on Feb. 5 of this year. Recent price action suggests to me that it may be ready to cool down and head for the lower end of that range.
I'm still a big believer in the company. Occidental is one of the largest U.S. oil and gas companies based on equity market capitalization. Its wholly owned subsidiary, OxyChem, manufactures and markets chlor-alkali products and vinyls. Shares are trading with a trailing price-to-earnings ratio of only 13.2 and a forward one-year PE of about 13.5.
The following one-year chart of Occidental Petroleum highlights some of the compelling reasons its stock price has done so well.
OXY data by YCharts The company's quarterly revenue-per-share growth and year-over-year diluted earnings-per-share growth has been stellar. Last quarter its diluted EPS growth was an amazing 392%! Looking ahead, it appears that Oxy faces some headwinds that are likely to curtail those earnings. Sterne Agee analyst Tim Rezvan recently tweaked his earnings estimates for companies materially exposed to Permian Basin crude pricing -- and that includes Occidental Petroleum. He's given me permission to quote his comments on Occidental, which I find credible from both a fundamental and technical perspective.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV