What Will You Do When the Fed's Easing Ends?
When does this positive feedback loop end? When market participants are punished for buying the dip. Plainly, this occurs when the market does not run straight up to new highs but instead fails at a lower high, followed by a sharp move down to a lower low.
Most are assuming this will not occur until after October because this is the pattern we observed following the end of QE1 in 2010 and QE2 in 2011. In those years, shortly after the QE programs ended, a deep correction ensued: a drop of 17% in 2010 and another drop of 21% in 2011.
Will it be as simple this year? I highly doubt it. As game theory dictates, some market participants will inevitably cheat, seeking to get ahead of any selling that could follow the end of QE. We may already be seeing this as the broad market indices have struggled thus far in 2014 and widely held hedge fund positions have fared much worse.The "smart money" is likely already selling. While the selling may not reach the levels of 2010 and 2011, at the very least market participants should be prepared for higher volatility in the coming months. Our ATAC models used for managing mutual funds and separate accounts are currently reflecting this view and are defensively positioned. Whether you believe in the concept of a "Fed put" or not, the prospect of an end of QE and possibly higher rates in 2015 is likely to change the psychology of the market. And as we all know, in the short-run the market trades primarily on psychology. Buckle up, it's about to get interesting. This article represents the opinion of a contributor and not necessarily that of TheStreet or its editorial staff.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV