Humana Inc. (NYSE: HUM), one of the nation’s leading health and well-being companies, today announced a series of new sustainability goals within its third Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) report. The 2012-2013 report highlights Humana’s unique commitment to helping people achieve lifelong well-being through the company’s Healthy People, Healthy Planet, Healthy Performance CSR platform. The report shares a number of significant achievements including an eight percent reduction in energy use, receiving LEED Commercial Interiors Certification at Humana offices in Tampa Bay, Fla., and launching a 150 data-point employee well-being scorecard.
The report, a self-declared Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) Level B, details Humana’s continuing effort to assess and evaluate existing CSR endeavors and establish new metrics and benchmarks for tracking impacts and progress. As part of this effort, Humana assessed its environmental sustainability program, in accordance with industry best practices (as described by GRI). The assessment identified operational efficiency, supply-chain sustainability and procurement, and associate engagement as top priorities moving forward.
Humana also recognizes the intrinsic link between the health of the planet and the services the company provides. The report acknowledges that climate change poses a serious challenge to the planet and impacts the health and well-being of those Humana serves. As a result, Humana has set goals it intends to accomplish by the end of 2015, including:
- Reduce annual energy consumption by 5 percent;
- Decrease greenhouse gas emissions by 5 percent; and
- Increase landfill diversion to 40 percent of the waste stream
Going forward, Humana will adopt facility environmental and green standards and set goals and metrics to track progress; assess and survey its largest suppliers’ sustainability efforts to share best practices and Humana’s supplier expectations; and identify new ways to engage Humana’s 52,000 associates in the company’s CSR efforts.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV