NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- I can vividly recall the excitement when going for a ride in my sister's cherry red, 1991 Chevy Camaro Iroc Z. Wow, the squared sexiness of the design, and the signature T-tops, was enough to make any 16-year old boy's heart skip a beat. I went onto be a proud owner of a 1991 Pontiac (<--RIP) Trans Am GTA, a competitor to the Camaro badge throughout the years.
So it was a pleasure to have a giggling schoolboy moment and chat with General Motors' (GM) Mark Dickens, Director of Performance Vehicles, who has been an integral member of the development team for the new Camaro Z28, with the New York International Auto Show in full effect. Dickens is a true passionate car guy, his knowledge all but took me by the arm through the phone and put me behind of the new beast of the roads, the highly legal street racer known as the Camaro Z28.
To get a feel of the power of this awesome piece of American muscle, simply watch this cool feature on TheStreet from inside the cockpit. Here are the interview excerpts from Dickens, designed to be Camaro Z28-like . . . quick, with full punch off the line.
It's tough for this former 1991 Trans AM GTA owner to be doing a Camaro interview, but the new design is truly performance car meets eye candy. Take us behind the scenes a bit, how did you and your team improve upon an already stellar Camaro design?2 Goals When Designing the New Camaro Z28
- How can it win at the race track?
- Beat the Ford (F) Mustang "at all costs," tapping into extensive performance data in the process.
- A higher revving engine then prior iterations.
- Increased road grip through improved downforce.
- Mass reduction.
- Improved fuel economy through drag reduction (making the car is even more aerodynamic).
- There has been a movement in the auto industry to including additional grill openings to bolster engine cooling, which is apparent in the new Camaro Z28. That movement will not be going quietly anytime soon.
- Cold air induction
- Exhaust systems with performance sound
- Brakes with colored calipers
- Upgraded chassis packages
- How much would a set of replacement tires cost on the Camaro Z28? Each 19-inch tire costs $550 (that is $2,200 total...).
- Can you share one or two interesting attributes of the new Camaro in the upcoming Transformers 4? Unfortunately, not much to share on this! (here are spy photos of the new "BumbleBee" Camaro on set of Transformers 4).
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV