NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- If you've seen sizable returns in 2014 you've either picked the right stocks, or more importantly, you've been investing in the right sector.
The two strongest sectors of the year, so far, have been energy and utilities. The largest utilities exchange-traded fund, the Utilities SPDR (XLU), is up 13% this year. The largest energy ETF, Energy Select Sector SPDR (XLE), is up nearly 4%. Why are these the two strongest sectors of the year? It could be for a number of reasons. Some investors have cited the importance of dividends. Others have mentioned a rotation out of momentum stocks and into value oriented stocks.
XLE hit a new all-time high today at $91.96/share and that is remarkable. Especially when you see the chart we shared below. In-fact, this is the type of signal to look for in weak or turbulent markets -- find the stocks that are holding up the best. The five largest holdings in the XLE ETF are Exxon (XOM), Chevron (CVX), Schlumberger (SLB), Occidental Petroleum (OXY) and EOG Resources (EOG).
On StockTwits, a specific chart caught our eye about the energy sector. It shows the ratio between XLE and the S&P 500. Since 2011, this ratio has been in a huge downtrend. Meaning the S&P 500 has been outperforming the energy sector for three years now. But that might have totally changed today, as that ratio broke through the huge downtrend:
One reason to be bullish energy is the relative strength of $XLE versus $SPY on the ratio chart http://stks.co/g0VhB - Serge Berger (@steadytrader) Apr. 16 at 03:01 PM
If you enjoyed this article make sure to follow the author on Twitter and StockTwits This article represents the opinion of a contributor and not necessarily that of TheStreet or its editorial staff.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV