United Rentals, Inc. (NYSE:URI) today announced financial results for the first quarter 2014. Total revenue was $1.178 billion and rental revenue was $1.005 billion, compared with $1.100 billion and $916 million, respectively, for the same period last year. On a GAAP basis, the company reported first quarter net income of $60 million, or $0.56 per diluted share, compared with $21 million, or $0.19 per diluted share, for the same period last year.
Adjusted EPS 1 for the quarter was $0.90 per diluted share, compared with $0.58 per diluted share for the same period last year. Adjusted EBITDA 2 was $519 million and adjusted EBITDA margin was 44.1%, a first quarter company record.
First Quarter 2014 Highlights
- Rental revenue (which includes owned equipment rental revenue, re-rent revenue and ancillary items) increased 9.7% year-over-year. Within rental revenue, owned equipment rental revenue increased 9.1%, reflecting year-over-year increases of 7.6% in the volume of equipment on rent and 4.3% in rental rates. The company has reaffirmed its outlook for a full-year increase in rental rates of approximately 4%, and full year total revenue in a range of $5.45 billion to $5.65 billion.
- Adjusted EBITDA was $519 million and adjusted EBITDA margin was a first quarter record 44.1%, an increase of $68 million and 310 basis points, respectively, from the same period last year. The company has reaffirmed its outlook for full year adjusted EBITDA in a range of $2.55 billion to $2.65 billion, and it currently expects to be near the top of that range.
- Time utilization increased 40 basis points year-over-year to 64.6%. The company has reaffirmed its outlook for full year time utilization of approximately 68.5%.
- The company generated $110 million of proceeds from used equipment sales at an adjusted gross margin of 49.1%, compared with $123 million and 43.9% for the same period last year. 3
- Flow-through, which represents the year-over-year change in adjusted EBITDA divided by the year-over-year change in total revenue, was 87.2% for the quarter.
|1.||Adjusted EPS is a non-GAAP measure that excludes the impact of the following special items: (i) merger related costs; (ii) restructuring charge; (iii) asset impairment charge; (iv) impact on interest expense related to fair value adjustment of acquired RSC indebtedness; (v) impact on depreciation related to acquired RSC fleet and property and equipment; (vi) impact of the fair value mark-up of acquired RSC fleet; (vii) RSC merger related intangible asset amortization and (viii) loss on repurchase/redemption of debt securities and retirement of subordinated convertible debentures. See table below for amounts.|
|2.||Adjusted EBITDA is a non-GAAP measure that excludes the impact of the following special items: (i) merger related costs; (ii) restructuring charge; (iii) impact of the fair-value mark up of acquired RSC fleet; and (iv) stock compensation expense, net. See table below for amounts.|
|3.||Adjusted used equipment gross margins exclude the impact of the fair value mark-up of acquired RSC fleet that was sold.|
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV