RLI Corp. (NYSE: RLI) – RLI Corp. reported first quarter 2014 operating earnings of $24.7 million ($0.57 per share), compared to $22.5 million ($0.52 per share) for the first quarter of 2013.
On January 15, 2014, RLI executed a two-for-one stock split of common stock. All share and per share data in this release reflect the stock split.
|Earnings Per Diluted Share||2014||2013|
|Operating earnings (1)||$0.57||$0.52|
|(1) See discussion below of non-GAAP financial measures.|
Highlights for the quarter included:
- Combined ratio of 86.0, resulting in underwriting income of $22.5 million.
- 2% growth in gross premiums written and 6% growth in net premiums written.
- $13.3 million net increase in underwriting income resulting from favorable development in prior years’ loss reserves.
- Investment income of $13.6 million, up 5% from the same period last year.
- Book value per share of $20.23, an increase of 5% from year end 2013.
“RLI finished 2013 with an 83 combined ratio, marking our 18th consecutive year of underwriting profit and positioning us for a positive start in 2014,” said RLI Corp. Chairman & CEO Jonathan E. Michael. “In the first quarter, we posted an 86 combined ratio, which was driven by solid performance across all of our segments. Gross premium volume was up 2%, primarily due to our casualty and surety segments. Net premiums written advanced 6% as a result of reduced reinsurance costs and changes in product mix.”
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV