NEW YORK (TheStreet) --Shares of CannaVEST Corp. (CANV) are up 50.06% to $25.33 on Wednesday afternoon following news the Colorado Department of Agriculture issued a Commercial Industrial Hemp Registration to the company, which makes consumer products from the hemp plant, allowing it to grow and produce industrial hemp.
"Given the existence of profitable markets for a wide array of industrial and consumer products, commercial hemp industry in the U.S. could provide opportunities as an economically viable alternative crop for some U.S. growers," read a report from the Congressional Research Service.
Industrial hemp comes for certain types of cannabis plants that do not contain high levels of the psychoactive chemical tetrahydrocannabinol.
Industrial hemp is used to make a number of different products including textiles, food, fuel, and plastics, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures.
Must Read: Warren Buffett's 10 Favorite Growth StocksSTOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. CANV data by YCharts
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV