In trading on Wednesday, shares of Allied Nevada Gold Corp (ANV) entered into oversold territory, changing hands as low as $3.60 per share. We define oversold territory using the Relative Strength Index, or RSI, which is a technical analysis indicator used to measure momentum on a scale of zero to 100. A stock is considered to be oversold if the RSI reading falls below 30.
In the case of Allied Nevada Gold Corp, the RSI reading has hit 29.0 — by comparison, the universe of metals and mining stocks covered by Metals Channel currently has an average RSI of 44.7, the RSI of Spot Gold is at 43.5, and the RSI of Spot Silver is presently 33.5.
A bullish investor could look at ANV's 29.0 reading as a sign that the recent heavy selling is in the process of exhausting itself, and begin to look for entry point opportunities on the buy side.
Looking at a chart of one year performance (below), ANV's low point in its 52 week range is $3.01 per share, with $12.59 as the 52 week high point — that compares with a last trade of $3.61. Allied Nevada Gold Corp shares are currently trading off about 2.2% on the day.
According to the ETF Finder at ETF Channel, ANV makes up 1.78% of the Junior Gold Miners ETF (GDXJ) which is trading lower by about 0.5% on the day Wednesday.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV