Here Are the Best Days of the Week to Buy Gas
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Penny-pinching car owners can expect to find the lowest gas prices on Wednesdays in South Dakota, Thursdays in Delaware and Maryland and a wide variety of other days elsewhere, a 50-state analysis by market tracker GasBuddy.com has found.
"There certainly can be differences in the best day to buy gas depending on your [location]," GasBuddy senior analyst Patrick DeHaan says. "We found [some national trends], but a rural city in, say, Montana doesn't have to conform to traditional behaviors."
GasBuddy, which uses crowdsourcing to track gas prices at some 120,000 U.S. stations, recently analyzed four years of data to determine which days of the week offer the lowest average gas prices in various states.
The study found that all or part of the weekend (including Friday) offer the best average deals in 35 states and the District of Columbia. Drivers in the 15 other states should stick to gassing up Monday through Thursday.DeHaan believes weekends offer the best deal in most of the country because energy-futures trading happens only Mondays through Fridays -- and refineries typically only wholesale prices adjust once each weekday evening to reflect that day's closing market price. As a result, gas stations can offer rock-bottom pump prices over the weekend because they know in advance what it'll cost to restock on Monday morning, the expert says.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV