5 Fun Facts on Jelly Belly to Share on Twitter & Facebook
- April 22 is National Jelly Bean Day. Program that into Hootsuite, have it released on Twitter at 6:00 am EST.
- 2014 marks the 25th anniversary of the Buttered Popcorn Jelly Belly bean flavor. When it launched, it was the world's first savory jelly bean flavor.
- If you laid all the Jelly Belly beans eaten this year end to end, they would stretch around the Earth 5.5 times.
- Favorite flavors change depending on where you are in the world. Very Cherry is the favorite flavor in America, while Lemon Lime is most popular in Asia, Tutti-Fruitti in Europe, Berry Blue in the Middle East and Bubble Gum is the favorite down under.
- It takes between seven and 14 days to make a Jelly Belly jelly bean.
On my new post-workout favorites, Jelly Belly's Protein Recovery Crisps/Energy Beans:
- There is a separate effort inside Jelly Belly, or a dedicated sales team, responsible for selling the sports nutrition products. This shows the opportunity inherent to the market which Jelly Belly could reach into via a product that has proven athletic performance benefits. FYI: The global sports nutrition market was valued at $20.7 billion in 2012 and is expected to grow at a CAGR of 9.0% from 2013 to 2019, to reach an estimated value of $37.7 billion in 2019.
- Availability of these products are expanding, and can now be found at GNC (GNC) and Walmart (WMT).
- Specific to the energy beans, these were developed as a counter to the exploding packaged gels market. By having a product in a small, resealable package, it addresses a desire by the workout enthusiast to space (or as Swaigen put it, "meter") out ingestion as to provide a more consistent energy stream.
- The sports product line is no marketing gimmick. Jelly Belly has had thorough research done on the athletic performance benefits of its products, which could be read here.
Yes, Jelly Belly still rocks the most authentic jelly beans in the business. New things to know:
- The company just released a new party collection centered on decorating and baking. Key attribute of these jelly beans: they have a shiny coating so as to visually pop.
- Yes, there is real tobacco sauce in the re-introduced Tabasco brand jelly bean that also happens to now be available in chocolate flavored.
- No, Jelly Belly has not seen any impact according to Swaigen from large customers (think big box retailers) seeking to manage inventories cautiously. The Easter holiday should be especially kind to confectioners this year due to the later calendar date.
-- Written by Brian Sozzi CEO of Belus Capital Advisors, analyst to TheStreet.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV