NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Trips to stores are no longer normal for me (normal being those trips to JC Penney (JCP) with mom as a kid). They haven't been for quite some time. As a stock analyst, you are constantly on the prowl for the next great investment opportunity that could be sitting on the shelves of Walmart (WMT), Target (TGT), or CVS (CVS).
At the bare minimum, there is an ongoing pursuit to see if a well-established, publicly traded company is doing something differently, good or bad, in the marketplace. Trust me: the truth of a company's future financial statements are so very often staring at you in the everyday environment.
So with eyes wide open, per the usual, during a recent Dick's Sporting Goods (DKS) store walk I stumbled on these two nifty products from the non-publicly traded confectioner, jelly bean king Jelly Belly.
The immediate thoughts I had:
- Since when did Jelly Belly sell sports nutrition products to workout enthusiasts such as myself? (I would later find out the quick energy sports beans have been on the market for a bit, the protein recovery crisps are a new product.)
- Rock solid move by merchants at Dick's Sporting Goods (DKS) for sticking these innovative new products at the high-margin impulse area known as the checkout.
- Why hasn't a Hershey (HSY) expanded into the rapidly growing sports nutrition market? All of the ingredients are there to put together a product (could be a bar, shake, or like Jelly Belly, a form of protein crisp) that creates a new growth avenue.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV