By late morning, shares had taken off 6.8% to $28.43. Yamana Gold had slid 4.3% to $8.02.
In a joint statement, the companies said they would offer C$3.9 billion, or C$8.15 a share, for the Montreal-based mining company. The total offer consists of C$1 billion in cash, C$2.33 billion in Agnico and Yamana shares, and shares in a new joint company valued at around C$575 million.
Must Read: Warren Buffett's 10 Favorite StocksSTOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. TheStreet Ratings team rates AGNICO EAGLE MINES LTD as a Sell with a ratings score of D+. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation: "We rate AGNICO EAGLE MINES LTD (AEM) a SELL. This is driven by several weaknesses, which we believe should have a greater impact than any strengths, and could make it more difficult for investors to achieve positive results compared to most of the stocks we cover. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its feeble growth in its earnings per share, deteriorating net income, disappointing return on equity and generally disappointing historical performance in the stock itself." Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- AGNICO EAGLE MINES LTD has experienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. The company has suffered a declining pattern earnings per share over the past two years. During the past fiscal year, AGNICO EAGLE MINES LTD swung to a loss, reporting -$2.34 versus $1.81 in the prior year.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Metals & Mining industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 647.7% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $82.77 million to -$453.32 million.
- Return on equity has greatly decreased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of major weakness within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Metals & Mining industry and the overall market, AGNICO EAGLE MINES LTD's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- The share price of AGNICO EAGLE MINES LTD has not done very well: it is down 19.02% and has underperformed the S&P 500, in part reflecting the company's sharply declining earnings per share when compared to the year-earlier quarter. Turning toward the future, the fact that the stock has come down in price over the past year should not necessarily be interpreted as a negative; it could be one of the factors that may help make the stock attractive down the road. Right now, however, we believe that it is too soon to buy.
- AEM, with its decline in revenue, underperformed when compared the industry average of 7.9%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly dropped by 2.7%. Weakness in the company's revenue seems to have hurt the bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: AEM Ratings Report