Shares of Abbott Laboratories are climbing slightly higher on Wednesday after the company reported first-quarter net income that fell 31%, but adjusted earnings still managed to beat expectations.
Abbott said it earned $375 million, or 24 cents a share in the quarter, down from $544 million, or 34 cents a share, a year ago. Excluding items, Abbott earned 41 cents a share, topping analyst expectations of 36 cents a share, according to Thomson Reuters.The company's diagnostic and laboratory test unit saw sales gains of 2.6% during the period, and was Abbott's only unit to post increases. Abbott's results were weighed down by a negative impact of foreign exchange rates as well as the shutdown of a drug manufacturing plant.
WATCH: More market update videos on TheStreet TV | More videos from Brittany Umar Looking forward, the company reaffirmed its full-year 2014 earnings forecast, expecting $2.16 to $2.26 a share. In New York, I'm Brittany Umar for TheStreet. -- Written by Brittany Umar in New York. Follow @brittanyumar
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV