NORTHBROOK, Ill., April 16, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- The inaugural ¡Vamos! survey from The Allstate Foundation found that 29 percent of Hispanic parents correctly identified car crashes as the leading cause of death among teens. Most Hispanic parents, 42 percent, assumed drugs and alcohol were the No.1 cause of teen deaths.
"¡Vamos!," or "Let's Go!" in English, is the first-ever national survey looking into the attitudes and behaviors of Hispanic teen drivers and parents. For both white and Hispanic teens, car crashes are the leading cause of death and The Allstate Foundation conducted the survey to identify tools and tips to help all parents keep their teen safer behind the wheel. The survey compares these two groups in order to establish trends and identify resources that can assist traffic safety experts when creating programs. According to the U.S. Census, as of 2012, Hispanic teens made up 20 percent of all teens in the U.S. and the Hispanic teen population is expected to grow six times the rate of the teen population overall through 2020.
"I've gone through the licensing process with both of my children and know firsthand how difficult and scary it can be every time you hand over the keys," said Jorge Monsivais, Allstate agency owner and parent of a newly licensed teen driver. "By just understanding the real risks to our teens on the road, we can do a lot to help prepare and train them for the many challenging situations they may face."
Of the Hispanic parents surveyed, nearly 50 percent mostly or only speak Spanish in the home and tend to consume media only in that language. The Allstate Foundation has created new driver education resources available for parents in Spanish and English to help make the next generation of drivers safer. New resources include:
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV