April 16, 2014
/PRNewswire/ -- Texas Instruments (TI) (NASDAQ: TXN) today announced support for iBeacon technology across its
low energy portfolio including:
- Bluetooth Smart with SimpleLink™ CC2541 and CC2543 wireless microcontrollers (MCUs)
- Bluetooth dual mode with the SimpleLink CC2564 solution, and the BL6450Q automotive connectivity device
- Wi-Fi and Bluetooth combo-connectivity with WiLink™ 8 and WiLink 8Q for automotive connectivity
Additionally, TI launched a new location app, with iBeacon technology, for the CC2541-based SimpleLink
development kit, as well as a new low cost, small form-factor
broadcaster reference design
based on the CC2543. The CC2543 is a low-cost version of CC2541 optimized for beacons and broadcast applications.
About iBeacon – More than retail
iBeacon is a technology introduced with iOS 7 that uses Bluetooth low energy and geofencing to provide apps with a whole new level of micro-location awareness, such as trail markers in a park, exhibits in a museum, or product displays in stores.
"Restaurants, retailers and even sports stadiums have started using iBeacon technology, but there are many more applications that could benefit from the technology. Everything from asset trackers, retail, building automation systems, automotive and industrial applications, and a wide variety of consumer electronics," said
, general manager, Wireless Connectivity Solutions, TI. "By providing support for iBeacon technology across our entire Bluetooth low energy portfolio as well as a new SimpleLink SensorTag location app and broadcaster reference design, we are enabling manufacturers to quickly add micro-locationing capabilities to their products."
New location App demonstrating SensorTag with iBeacon technology
A new SensorTag location app with iBeacon technology is available to download on the
for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch. The app allows you to upload a floor plan and "place" SensorTags to easily set up your own indoor positioning system. The app provides feedback on how near you are to the SensorTags and can launch a user-specified URL when you are in the immediate vicinity of a SensorTag. Additionally, existing SensorTags can be updated with the latest
through an over-the-air upgrade to be compatible with iBeacon technology.
TI broadcaster reference design with iBeacon technology
TI is also introducing a coin cell-sized, low cost and low-power broadcaster reference design that enables fast volume production of devices with iBeacon technology based on the SimpleLink CC2543. Manufacturers can also get a head start with the
SensorTag reference design
, which is FCC-certified and is compatible with iBeacon technology.
Support for iBeacon technology on TI Bluetooth platforms
TI offers support for iBeacon technology across its Bluetooth Smart-enabled products through royalty-free software offerings.
Pricing and availability:
- SimpleLink Bluetooth low energy CC2541 and CC2543 wireless MCUs are supported through TI's BLE-Stack.
- SimpleLink Bluetooth dual mode CC2564 and WiLink 8 combo connectivity solutions are supported by Stonestreet One's Bluetopia stack.
- WiLink 8Q and BL6450Q solutions for automotive applications are supported by Cybercom blueGO together with OpenSynergy Blue SDK stack.
About Texas Instruments
- The SimpleLink SensorTag is available through the TI eStore and TI authorized distributors for $25.
- Upgrade your SensorTag to be compatible with iBeacon technology using the latest SensorTag App.
- The new location app with iBeacon technology is available to download on the App Store for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
- The TI broadcaster reference design based on the SimpleLink CC2543 with iBeacon technology including Gerbers, schematics, layout, and BOM is available now.
Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) is a global semiconductor design and manufacturing company that develops analog ICs and embedded processors. By employing the world's brightest minds, TI creates innovations that shape the future of technology. TI is helping more than 100,000 customers transform the future, today. Learn more at