NEW YORK (TheStreet) - More than 1 million households watched World Wrestling Entertainment's (WWE) WrestleMania 30 marking it the first time that the wrestling fan-favorite event "eclipsed" that number domestically, WWE said on Tuesday.
As a result, WWE feels "confident" it will reach its goal of 1 million subscribers on its February-launched WWE Network streaming network by the end of 2014. WWE Network currently has more than 667,000 subscribers in the U.S. WWE also had nearly 400,000 domestic pay-per-view buying homes for WrestleMania 30.
WWE launched the WWE Network in late February. The over-the-top (OTT) service purely for wrestling fans is akin to Netflix (NFLX). It costs $9.99 a month and includes access to all of the live and scheduled programming, including all 12 live pay-per-view events, like WrestleMania, as well a video-on-demand library. Viewers can watch the WWE Network via Apple (AAPL) TV, Roku streaming devices, Sony PlayStation 3, Sony PlayStation 4 and Xbox 360. WWE Network is also available on the WWE app, which is available on iOS devices and Amazon's (AMZN) Kindle Fire devices and Google (GOOG) Android devices, as well as on desktops and laptops via WWE.com.
WWE Network successfully streamed six hours of live coverage of WrestleMania 30 on Sunday, April 6. Additionally, more than 7.1 million hours of video content was viewed on WWE Network during WrestleMania Week from Tuesday, April 1 through Tuesday, April 8, the entertainment company said.The streaming service is expected to be rolled out in Canada, the U.K., Australia, New Zealand, Singapore, Hong Kong and the Nordics in late 2014/early 2015, the company said. Stamford, CT.-based WWE will report its first-quarter earnings results on May 1. --Written by Laurie Kulikowski in New York. Follow @LKulikowski
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV