SAN FRANCISCO, April 15, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- At a customer event in San Francisco, Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella showcased innovations available today with the launch of SQL Server 2014, the newest version of the world's most widely deployed database, and outlined the company's path to deliver a platform for ambient intelligence. Nadella stressed the importance of a data culture — one that encourages curiosity, action and experimentation — for everyone and every organization. Microsoft also shared the results of new IDC research that shows companies that take a comprehensive approach to data stand to realize an additional 60 percent return on their data assets — a worldwide opportunity of $1.6 trillion.
"The era of ambient intelligence has begun, and we are delivering a platform that allows companies of any size to create a data culture and ensure insights reach every individual in every organization," Nadella said.
More of Nadella's thoughts about ambient intelligence and the future of data can be found on the Official Microsoft Blog.
The data platform for a new eraBuilt for the era of ambient intelligence, Microsoft's data platform includes new Internet of Things capabilities and provides customers with the building blocks they need to connect their data, refine and analyze it, and deliver insights to people who can take action. Today, Microsoft expanded its data platform with new products and services, including the following:
- Launch of SQL Server 2014. The latest version of the world's most widely deployed database delivers real-time performance with built-in in-memory technology and public cloud scale and disaster recovery with Microsoft Azure.
- Limited public preview of the Microsoft Azure Intelligent Systems Service. This new Azure service helps customers embrace the Internet of Things and securely connect to, manage and capture machine-generated data from sensors and devices, regardless of operating system.
- General availability of the Analytics Platform System (APS). APS combines the best of Microsoft's SQL Server database and Hadoop technology in one low-cost offering that delivers "big data in a box."
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts