Gold for June delivery at the COMEX division of the New York Mercantile Exchange was dropping $23.30 to $1,304.20 an ounce. The gold price traded as high as $1,328.40 and as low as $1,284.40 an ounce, while the spot price was falling $23.80, or 1.8%.
Retail sales for March in the U.S. grew at the fastest clip since 2012, suggesting that consumers were confident of a strengthening economy, a sentiment that hurts gold prices. Escalation of tensions in Ukraine that could see military intervention failed to support the precious metal.
The tumble also continued despite a World Gold Council report that found Chinese gold demand will increase by about 25% during the next four years.Tuesday marked the one-year anniversary that gold tumbled more than 9%, but unlike that event, analysts don't expect the current 1% pullback to last very long. "The positive March U.S. retail sales figures released yesterday are obviously having a greater impact on investors," Commerzbank wrote in a research note to investors on Tuesday. "The figures also led to a strengthening of the US dollar, which is depressing the gold price. We expect prices to stabilize shortly." RBC Capital Markets precious metals strategist George Gero said in a note that Tuesday's selloff included the triggering of a number of sell stops that "shocked and surprised" traders. Despite the large drop, gold was holding near key support at $1,300 an ounce -- a level it repeatedly has tested the past month. Silver prices for May delivery were declining 46 cents to $19.55 an ounce, while the U.S. dollar index was adding 0.01% to $79.77. Gold ETF SPDR Gold Trust (GLD) was sliding 1.9%, while iShares Gold Trust (IAU) was slipping 1.8%. -- Written by Joe Deaux in New York. >Contact by Email. Follow @JoeDeaux
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV