Red Hat, Inc. (NYSE: RHT), the world’s leading provider of open source solutions, today announced significant momentum for its OpenStack-powered product offerings focused on delivering an open hybrid cloud. Since their introduction in June 2013, Red Hat’s enterprise OpenStack offerings have emerged as industry-leading solutions for building scalable private clouds with streamlined management. Several dozen organizations have embarked on proof-of-concept deployments for Red Hat’s OpenStack offerings, with customers around the world now moving to enterprise deployments.
Red Hat Enterprise Linux OpenStack Platform, currently available in version 4.0, delivers an integrated and optimized foundation for building OpenStack clouds, bringing together trusted Red Hat Enterprise Linux and Red Hat’s OpenStack technology. With Red Hat Enterprise Linux OpenStack Platform, organizations can take advantage of the fast pace of innovation of the OpenStack project while maintaining a stable platform for production deployment. Enterprise customers that have moved from proof-of-concept to enterprise deployments of Red Hat Enterprise Linux OpenStack Platform include:
- The Broad Institute of Harvard and MIT, a new kind of biomedical research institution focused on genomic medicine, needed to create an on-premise cloud with on-demand compute and self-service functionality for the hundreds of post-doctorate medical and biochemistry research students they serve. After many of the Broad’s researchers expressed an interest in piloting OpenStack, the Broad Institute chose Red Hat Enterprise Linux OpenStack Platform as the base for a private cloud pilot that accommodates the volume of sample data used by researchers creating a tumor map to help treat prominent cancers earlier and more effectively. The two-week installation was based on Cisco hardware running Red Hat Enterprise Linux OpenStack Platform, and the Broad Institute received mentoring from Red Hat Consulting during the course of the deployment.
- Midokura, a global company focused on network virtualization, needed to build their own private internal cloud to provide a scalable, multi-tenant environment for their IT resources after scaling their existing public cloud environment was proving too costly over time. With prior experience building an OpenStack environment, Midokura chose Red Hat Enterprise Linux OpenStack Platform for its stability, value and enterprise-grade support. Midokura’s Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS) cloud, based on Red Hat Enterprise Linux OpenStack Platform, is now used by core development, quality assurance and sales engineers to scale their testing environments and provide better pre- and post-sales support.
- National Computational Infrastructure (NCI) at The Australian National University, Australia’s national research computing service was the first organization worldwide to deploy the Enterprise Linux OpenStack Platform. NCI, which provides world-class, high-end services to Australia’s researchers, needed to add enterprise-class support to their internally assembled OpenStack platform that runs their high-performance compute cloud for weather simulation. After engaging with Red Hat Consulting and engineering support and gaining confidence in their OpenStack deployments and experimenting with different environments through the early adopter program, they selected Red Hat Enterprise Linux OpenStack Platform for deployment. NCI selected Red Hat Enterprise Linux OpenStack Platform because it offered them a fully supported, upgradable enterprise OpenStack distribution, and the robust security and certifications afforded by Red Hat Enterprise Linux enabled them to deploy with confidence.
- The University of Porto (Universidade do Porto), one of the most prestigious higher education institutions in Europe, is also home to one of the most well-regarded research institutions in Portugal. By production, the University of Porto is the largest research university in Portugal, responsible for nearly one quarter of the Portuguese articles indexed each year in the Web of Science. In support of its Research Labs, which serve more than 34,000 students, teachers and researchers across three university campuses, the University of Porto plans to launch, during first semester of 2014, an Internal Cloud Service with Red Hat Enterprise Linux OpenStack Platform and Red Hat Storage Server, Red Hat’s open software-defined storage offering. With Red Hat Enterprise Linux OpenStack Platform and Red Hat Storage Server, the University of Porto intends to create a stable, elastic cloud environment to meet demand surges from the courses, campuses, researchers, libraries and museums that access information from the University’s Internal Cloud Service.
Red Hat Cloud Infrastructure helps organizations build and manage a private IaaS cloud based on datacenter virtualization and management technologies for traditional workloads, while providing an on-ramp to a highly scalable, public-cloud-like infrastructure based on OpenStack. Currently in version 4.0 Red Hat Cloud Infrastructure is a single-subscription offering that integrates Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization; Red Hat CloudForms, Red Hat’s open hybrid cloud management solution; and Red Hat Enterprise Linux OpenStack Platform, enabling customers to build an integrated, open private cloud – the first step toward building an open hybrid cloud. Red Hat Cloud Infrastructure has been deployed by global enterprise customers, including:
- Nanyang Technological University, one of the two largest public universities in Singapore, and one of the top higher education institutions in Asia, has deployed Red Hat Cloud Infrastructure to build a hybrid cloud architecture for their High Performance Computing Center. Nanyang Technological University required a hybrid cloud that would enable them to utilize and integrate both private and public cloud, all while giving users the choice to securely store their data in private storage and replicate it back to the Nanyang Technological University Data Center, and vice versa. Furthermore, implementing a base of Red Hat Enterprise Linux OpenStack Platform enabled Nanyang Technological University to use a community-supported and collaborated cloud infrastructure platform to enable users to use and build services including Hadoop Clusters and scaled-up large memory/core systems.
Red Hat Enterprise Linux OpenStack Enterprise Deployment Panel at Red Hat SummitThis year’s Red Hat Summit features a variety of sessions for customers and developers getting started with OpenStack, or wanting to learn more about running an on-premise proof of concept. These sessions include an introduction to Red Hat Enterprise Linux OpenStack Platform, and multiple sessions from customers running Red Hat’s OpenStack-powered offerings. See a full list of OpenStack-centered sessions at this year’s Red Hat Summit here. Supporting Quotes Radhesh Balakrishnan, general manager, Virtualization and OpenStack, Red Hat“We're thrilled by the early momentum behind Red Hat’s OpenStack-powered offerings since general availability in July of last year. We’ve seen OpenStack move from an enterprise promise to enterprise reality, and Red Hat Enterprise Linux OpenStack Platform and Red Hat Cloud Infrastructure have emerged as industry-leading offerings for secure, scalable private clouds. These customer successes underscore the value Red Hat is offering through a solution engineered together with Red Hat Enterprise Linux and OpenStack, as well as establishing the standard for the largest OpenStack partner ecosystem to provide an open alternative to customers' private cloud needs." James Weatherell, Linux enterprise engineer III, The Broad Institute of MIT and Harvard“Using Red Hat Enterprise Linux OpenStack Platform gave us the strong foundation we needed for building our internal cloud from the ground up, and we look forward to moving to a fully supported version of Red Hat Enterprise Linux as our core operating system. We hope to continue to meet our researcher demand for OpenStack-powered capabilities in our datacenter to provide the most innovative, on-demand research space for collaborative work towards cancer treatment.” Yoshi Tamura, product manager, Midokura“The Red Hat Enterprise Linux OpenStack Platform enables us to react faster to customer demands, and is instrumental for our own internal cloud development needs. The solution enabled us to build out our own private cloud on a secure and scalable foundation.” Yeng Chai SOH, founding director, High Performance Computing Centre, Nanyang Technological University“Adaptability was key in our implementation, as we did not have a cloud solution that fit our existing hybrid cloud IT architecture. The flexibility provided by the open architecture of Red Hat Cloud Infrastructure enabled us to enhance our virtual environment’s performance without having to overhaul current physical resources, and we achieved significant cost-savings with the Red Hat portal, as our administrators can now execute self-provisioning.” Allan Williams, associate director, Australian National Computational Infrastructure“When selecting a platform to run our research partner cloud, we were looking for a solution that was robust and backed by an experienced development team. As the first organization worldwide to deploy Red Hat Enterprise Linux OpenStack Platform, Red Hat has been very responsive in assisting to get our OpenStack deployment up and operating quickly. The quality of the deployment has given significant confidence to our partners." José Antonio Sousa, system administration unit coordinator, ICT services of University of Porto“Choosing to combine Red Hat Enterprise Linux OpenStack Platform and Red Hat Storage Server will enable us to consolidate resources and will give the ability to quickly scale our Internal Cloud Service from a centralized point. We expect the workload volume which we will be able to achieve with this solution to enable us fulfill our entire university community with confidence in our data security and delivery.” Additional Resources
- Learn more about Red Hat Enterprise Linux OpenStack Platform
- Learn more about Red Hat Cloud Infrastructure
- Learn more about Red Hat Storage
- Read more Red Hat customer success stories
- More about Red Hat Summit
- Visit our online press kit for additional resources from Red Hat Summit 2014
- Follow updates from Red Hat Summit Twitter at @RedHatSummit or #RHSummit
- Engage with Red Hat Summit on Facebook
- Learn more about Red Hat
- Get more Red Hat news or subscribe to the Red Hat news RSS feed
- Follow Red Hat on Twitter
- Join Red Hat on Facebook
- Watch Red Hat videos on YouTube
- Join Red Hat on Google+