NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Did you think you lost your shirt this morning?
No -- your position in Under Armour (UA) did not lose 50% overnight although in this current market environment you were not wrong to think it had! With momentum stocks falling from the sky like a financial meteor shower lately, much of the "hot money" has been exiting stocks.
Before the open Tuesday Under Armour performed its second stock split of its successful life, a two-for-one move to increase liquidity and attract more buyers. In the old days such a move would have seen the company up big today but those days are far gone.
In an era where investors prefer stocks not to split, due mostly to the stance of Google (GOOG) and Apple (AAPL), stock splits like Under Armour's tend to fall under the radar.
It is a good move, though, especially given the recent weakness in the stock. Last month the company was trading at a split adjusted price of $62.40. Today, at around $51, shares are trading almost 20% below that price.
The story has not changed in the last month, just market sentiment. With a 35% quarterly growth rate and a push to expand overseas, the recent weakness, coupled with the stock split, make for an attractive add here.
Last week Under Armour was upgraded to buy from neutral by Sterne Agee ahead of its earnings report on April 24. Earnings estimates call for 9 cents a share, up 29% from last year. This expected growth comes despite terrible weather conditions during the quarter, a sign of the tremendous growth Under Armour is experiencing. The report next week will give a better insight into how well things really are at Under Armour.
At the time of publication the author had no position in any of the stocks mentioned.This article represents the opinion of a contributor and not necessarily that of TheStreet or its editorial staff.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV