NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Highpower International (HPJ) shares are up 12.8% to $4.75 in trading on Tuesday.
The stock jumped following the news that the company has signed a deal with Sony Corp. (SNE) to become one of their official suppliers.
The lithium and nickel-metal hydride rechargeable battery maker has already begun receiving orders and shipping products to Sony.
Must Read: Warren Buffett's 10 Favorite Growth Stocks
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.
"It is an extraordinary achievement to have passed Sony's audit and become one of its suppliers. We believe that our advanced battery products and new facility are well positioned to continue to attract Fortune 500 customers," Highpower International CTO Wenliang Li said.
TheStreet Ratings team rates HIGHPOWER INTERNATIONAL INC as a Hold with a ratings score of C. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
"We rate HIGHPOWER INTERNATIONAL INC (HPJ) a HOLD. The primary factors that have impacted our rating are mixed - some indicating strength, some showing weaknesses, with little evidence to justify the expectation of either a positive or negative performance for this stock relative to most other stocks. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its robust revenue growth, good cash flow from operations and solid stock price performance. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including generally higher debt management risk, disappointing return on equity and poor profit margins."Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- The revenue growth came in higher than the industry average of 4.8%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 24.7%. This growth in revenue appears to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, improving the earnings per share.
- Powered by its strong earnings growth of 125.00% and other important driving factors, this stock has surged by 444.11% over the past year, outperforming the rise in the S&P 500 Index during the same period. Regarding the stock's future course, our hold rating indicates that we do not recommend additional investment in this stock despite its gains in the past year.
- HIGHPOWER INTERNATIONAL INC reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has not demonstrated a clear trend in earnings over the past 2 years, making it difficult to accurately predict earnings for the coming year. During the past fiscal year, HIGHPOWER INTERNATIONAL INC reported lower earnings of $0.11 versus $0.13 in the prior year.
- The debt-to-equity ratio is very high at 2.02 and currently higher than the industry average, implying increased risk associated with the management of debt levels within the company. To add to this, HPJ has a quick ratio of 0.62, this demonstrates the lack of ability of the company to cover short-term liquidity needs.
- The company's current return on equity has slightly decreased from the same quarter one year prior. This implies a minor weakness in the organization. Compared to other companies in the Electrical Equipment industry and the overall market, HIGHPOWER INTERNATIONAL INC's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: HPJ Ratings Report
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV