Update (4:10 p.m.): Updated with Tuesday market close information and Daniel Graf hiring news.
According to The Wall Street Journal, Gnip is one of a small number of Twitter partners that has access to what is known as the "fire hose," the full stream of tweets on the site since 2006. Gnip analyzes the tweets, which now number about 500 million a day, and then sells the information to customers. The acquisition likely signals that Twitter wants to dive deeper into analyzing the tweets that appear on its site.
Financial terms of the acquisition were not disclosed.Twitter also hired Google (GOOG) executive Daniel Graf as its new vice president of consumer products. Graf, who served as Google Maps director, replaces Michael Sippey, who left Twitter in January. The stock closed up 11.43% to $45.54, a $4.67 increase from its previous close of $40.87. More than 22.4 million shares changed hands, well above its average volume of 13,553,300. The stock had a range of $40.76 to $45.55 for the day and holds a one-year range of $38.80 to $74.73. Must Read: Warren Buffett's 10 Favorite Growth Stocks STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV