Corbat spoke to analysts after the company reported better-than-expected earnings on Monday and CLSA analyst Michael Mayo asked "Is the Fed denial a wake-up call for Citi or not?," according to The Wall Street Journal. "We're wide awake," Corbat replied. He had said earlier, "I want, and I know shareholders deserve, an industrial-strength, permanent solution that paves the way for sustainable capital return over time."
Citigroup reported a 3.8% year-over-year increase in adjusted net income to $4.15 billion. Earnings per share were $1.30, a penny greater than in the same period one year earlier. Book value per share rose 6% to $66.25. Revenue dipped 2% year over year to $20.1 billion, excluding CVA/DVA adjustments.
Analysts polled by Thomson Reuters expected net income of $1.14 a share on revenue of $19.37 billion.The stock was up 0.55% to $47.93 at 10:23 a.m. on Tuesday. Must Read: Warren Buffett's 10 Favorite Growth Stocks STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. ---------- Separately, TheStreet Ratings team rates CITIGROUP INC as a "buy" with a ratings score of B. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation: "We rate CITIGROUP INC (C) a BUY. This is driven by a few notable strengths, which we believe should have a greater impact than any weaknesses, and should give investors a better performance opportunity than most stocks we cover. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its impressive record of earnings per share growth, compelling growth in net income, attractive valuation levels, notable return on equity and increase in stock price during the past year. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company shows weak operating cash flow." Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- CITIGROUP INC reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. We feel that this trend should continue. During the past fiscal year, CITIGROUP INC increased its bottom line by earning $4.25 versus $2.46 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($4.66 versus $4.25).
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Commercial Banks industry. The net income increased by 105.3% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $1,196.00 million to $2,456.00 million.
- Regardless of the drop in revenue, the company managed to outperform against the industry average of 12.1%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly dropped by 4.7%. The declining revenue has not hurt the company's bottom line, with increasing earnings per share.
- The return on equity has improved slightly when compared to the same quarter one year prior. This can be construed as a modest strength in the organization. When compared to other companies in the Commercial Banks industry and the overall market, CITIGROUP INC's return on equity is below that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: C Ratings Report
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV