Northeast Utilities (NU) Reaches New Lifetime High Today
- NU has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $69.1 million.
- NU has traded 2,124 shares today.
- NU is trading at a new lifetime high.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in NU with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for NU NOW at Trade-Ideas More details on NU: Northeast Utilities, a public utility company, through its subsidiaries, is engaged in the energy delivery business. The company is involved in generation, transmission, and distribution of electricity; and distribution of natural gas. The stock currently has a dividend yield of 3.5%. NU has a PE ratio of 18.2. Currently there are 9 analysts that rate Northeast Utilities a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and 3 rate it a hold. The average volume for Northeast Utilities has been 1.6 million shares per day over the past 30 days. Northeast Utilities has a market cap of $14.3 billion and is part of the utilities sector and utilities industry. The stock has a beta of 0.36 and a short float of 1.8% with 3.71 days to cover. Shares are up 7.2% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Friday. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. TheStreetRatings.com Analysis: TheStreet Quant Ratings rates Northeast Utilities as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, growth in earnings per share, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures, good cash flow from operations and increase in stock price during the past year. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company shows low profit margins. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- NU's revenue growth has slightly outpaced the industry average of 3.0%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 5.6%. This growth in revenue appears to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, improving the earnings per share.
- NORTHEAST UTILITIES's earnings per share improvement from the most recent quarter was slightly positive. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past year. We feel that this trend should continue. During the past fiscal year, NORTHEAST UTILITIES increased its bottom line by earning $2.48 versus $1.92 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($2.70 versus $2.48).
- Net operating cash flow has increased to $486.57 million or 33.22% when compared to the same quarter last year. Despite an increase in cash flow, NORTHEAST UTILITIES's average is still marginally south of the industry average growth rate of 42.87%.
- The debt-to-equity ratio is somewhat low, currently at 0.96, and is less than that of the industry average, implying that there has been a relatively successful effort in the management of debt levels. Even though the company has a strong debt-to-equity ratio, the quick ratio of 0.25 is very weak and demonstrates a lack of ability to pay short-term obligations.
- The return on equity has improved slightly when compared to the same quarter one year prior. This can be construed as a modest strength in the organization. When compared to other companies in the Electric Utilities industry and the overall market, NORTHEAST UTILITIES's return on equity is below that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- You can view the full Northeast Utilities Ratings Report.
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV