Late Monday, the Wall Street Journal reported that Google had purchased drone maker Titan Aerospace, presumably to improve its map product but also to expand Internet availability to folks worldwide. That may help to grow the online advertising market faster than ZenithOptimedia and others predict. Titan Aerospace confirmed the deal on its web site.
Google has also aggressively moved into mobile and, not so aggressively, into payments. Google Wallet, unfortunately, is a bit of an also-ran in the e-payments space. But Google's Droid phones gained considerable market share from Apple (AAPL) iPhones, and now are the dominant handsets.
Samsung Galaxy S5 Sold Out In Several Markets Worldwide http://stks.co/s0Cye $GOOG @VALUEWALKTECH -- ValueWalk (@valuewalk) Apr. 14 at 03:08 PMDespite Google's efforts at diversification, some investors maintain that the search giant is still primarily an advertising shop and, given its size, can't keep growing faster than the online ad market. Some bullish investors bought protection against an earnings miss this week.
$GOOG in the event that we see a miss Wednesday AH, I jumped into some $QQQ puts, I looked at the Google puts but to rich for a coin flip! -- Delta Force (@DF_Options) Apr. 14 at 08:01 PMBut most investors believe Google keeps innovating -- and using its cash to acquire innovation. And it just needs one new business to take off in order to support its $366.43 billion valuation. At the time of publication, the author held no positions in any of the stocks mentioned. This article represents the opinion of a contributor and not necessarily that of TheStreet or its editorial staff.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV