10 Ways You're Killing Your Car
PORTLAND, Ore. (TheStreet) -- If your "check engine" light could talk, it would hurl obscenities at you for ignoring it when it's only trying to help you out.
Your "check engine" light is your car's means of sitting you down for an intervention. It's trying to tell you that something's wrong and that you need to take action before it gets worse. Stop being afraid, suck it up and seek some help now before things get out of hand.
But you're not going to do that, are you? You're just going to hope that little LED bulb burns itself out so you can go about your business. Because how bad could it really be? You'd hear something, right? Then you could search "car banging noise" on YouTube and watch an instructional video on how to fix it yourself. You don't need a certified mechanic or an automaker's warning light telling you what to do. You're an independent, capable human being who just needs to get through this last commute and clear off some time on the weekend schedule for repairs.Yeah, this is how car repairs increased for the second year in a row. According to car repair data site CarMD, repairs increased 6.7% overall last year, including a 13% uptick in labor costs and 3% increase in parts costs. In the Northeast and Midwest, where hardy folk who brave the cold regularly should know better, plummeting temperatures brought a 9% increase in average car repair costs last year. CarMD just released its Vehicle Health Index and looked at what some of the most common "check engine" light repairs were in 2013. The sad fact is that most expensive common repairs could have been prevented by simple, inexpensive, routine maintenance. But since everybody's an expert, here are the problems that all of you self-certified mechanics failed to diagnose within the past year:
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV