AKRON, Ohio, April 14, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company (NASDAQ: GT) achieved many milestones in 2013, a year that was unlike any other in its 115-year history.
Achieving record segment operating income and strong cash flow were just two of those highlighted by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard J. Kramer at the company's annual shareholder meeting today.
This outstanding performance, he said, enabled Goodyear to achieve two additional significant milestones; reinstating a dividend on its common stock after 10 years and fully funding its U.S. pension plans.
"Without the shadow of the unfunded pension obligation, we can now both invest in our business and provide returns to our shareholders," Kramer said. "We're confident that the soundness of our strategy, our ability to execute against that strategy and the performance of our teams around the globe will continue to provide momentum toward our destination of delivering sustainable economic value for the long term."Kramer also noted Goodyear's recent recognition by Fortune magazine as the world's "Most Admired" motor vehicle parts company based on factors including financial performance, innovation, product quality and social responsibility. "The companies on the Fortune list share many of the same attributes‒sustainable earnings, a focus on innovation, strong cultures and great brands," he said. "We see this honor as another validation of our progress and our competitive advantages." During the meeting, shareholders re-elected 12 members of the company's Board of Directors to new one-year terms. Shareholders also voted to ratify the appointment of PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP as the company's independent registered public accounting firm for 2014. A shareholder proposal to appoint an independent board chairman was not approved. In an advisory vote, shareholders approved the compensation of the company's named executive officers.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV