Mortgage Rates Remain a Gift to Homebuyers
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- As the spring home buying season kicks into higher gear, mortgage interest rates seem to be co-operating with eager buyers.
The BankingMyWay.com Weekly Mortgage Rate tracker pegs 30-year fixed mortgage rates at 4.28% this week, down from 4.43% last week. Fannie Mae's weekly mortgage rate survey hit 4.34% this week, down from 4.41% last week.
Both rate updates reflect a softening in mortgage rates, which should favor new homebuyers. That said, they're still way above the 3.43% mortgage rates buyers were seeing at the same time last year, according to FNMA.
Five-year adjustable-mortgage rates and 15-year fixed mortgage rates are down too. BankingMyWay lists the former at a yearlong low of 3.167%, while 15-year mortgages are down to 3.54%.mortgage shopping guide, explaining that you can get a mortgage loan from mortgage lenders or mortgage brokers. Brokers arrange mortgage loans with a lender rather than lend money directly; in other words, brokers sell you a loan from a lender, the guide says, but "neither lenders nor brokers have to find the best loan for you. To find the best loan, you have to do the shopping." Also, know going in how big a loan you can manage. For example, banks will make your debt-to-income ratio a huge priority. Basically, that means the total amount of your household loans (for credit obligations such as auto loans, credit cards and college loans) shouldn't top more than 41% of your total annual income. If they do, you may have a problem getting the loan you want. Keep the issue off the table by paying down your credit card and auto loan debt as much as possible to keep your debt-to-income ratio manageable. It's a good time to buy a home, even if mortgage rates are still higher than they were a year ago. But 30-year fixed rates are still below 4.50%, and historically, that's a pretty good deal.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV