FierceBiotech reported the pharmaceutical giant's confirmation that ongoing problems in delivering such therapies tied to the limited number of potential relevant targets led to the move.
"We have decided to significantly reduce our internal drug discovery efforts in RNA therapeutics," Novartis told FierceBiotech in a statement. "This decision was driven by ongoing challenges with formulation and delivery and the reality that the current range of medically relevant targets where siRNA may be used is quite narrow. In the future we will have a small group working in this field and look for partnering opportunities."
Alnylam suffered in the wake of the news, as Novartis' program emerged from a partnership with Alnylam, one of the leaders in the RNAi drug development field. The stock fell more than 4.5% to a low of $52.02 for the day as of 3:12 p.m. on Monday.Must Read: Warren Buffett's 10 Favorite Growth Stocks STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV