Fresh off of its move into the living room, Amazon now wants to live in your pocket too.
The ecommerce giant is reportedly preparing to launch a smartphone according to a report from The Wall Street Journal over the weekend. Speaking with sources familiar with the project, the news site said an announcement could come as early as June with device shipments around September, just in time for the critical holiday shopping season.
A report from tech site Re/Code supports the claims, noting that Amazon will likely release both a high-end model and cheaper unit for emerging markets.
WATCH: More videos from Brittany Umar on TheStreet TV
Though the company has yet to confirm reports, if true, Amazon's moves into the hardware space put it in direct competition with entrenched players such as Apple and Samsung. Combined, those heavyweights currently hold 49% market share of the global smartphone network.
From New York, this is Brittany Umar for TheStreet.
-- Written by Brittany Umar in New York.Follow @brittanyumar
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV