NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Fluidigm
(FLDM - Get Report) shares are up 10.1% to $37.04 in trading on Monday.
The increase follows an upgrade of the company's shares to "outperform" from "marketperform" by analysts at Leerink Swann on Monday.
The firm set a $52 price target for the shares, suggesting a 45% increase from Monday's opening price.
Must Read: Warren Buffett's 10 Favorite Growth Stocks
Separately, TheStreet Ratings team rates FLUIDIGM CORP as a Sell with a ratings score of D+. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
"We rate FLUIDIGM CORP (FLDM) a SELL. This is driven by a number of negative factors, which we believe should have a greater impact than any strengths, and could make it more difficult for investors to achieve positive results compared to most of the stocks we cover. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its unimpressive growth in net income and feeble growth in its earnings per share."Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed against the S&P 500 and did not exceed that of the Life Sciences Tools & Services industry. The net income has decreased by 9.3% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, dropping from -$3.60 million to -$3.94 million.
- FLUIDIGM CORP's earnings per share declined by 7.1% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. We feel it is likely to report a decline in earnings in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, FLUIDIGM CORP continued to lose money by earning -$0.62 versus -$0.87 in the prior year. For the next year, the market is expecting a contraction of 64.5% in earnings (-$1.02 versus -$0.62).
- The return on equity has improved slightly when compared to the same quarter one year prior. This can be construed as a modest strength in the organization. Compared to other companies in the Life Sciences Tools & Services industry and the overall market, FLUIDIGM CORP's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- The gross profit margin for FLUIDIGM CORP is currently very high, coming in at 75.54%. Regardless of FLDM's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, FLDM's net profit margin of -18.86% significantly underperformed when compared to the industry average.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly increased by 192.54% to $3.24 million when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, FLUIDIGM CORP has also vastly surpassed the industry average cash flow growth rate of 18.34%.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: FLDM Ratings Report
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts