NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Edwards Lifesciences (EW) surged after a U.S. District Court in Delaware granted a preliminary injunction to limit the sale of Medtronic's (MDT) CoreValve system within the U.S.
The injunction was announced on Friday but goes into effect on April 22. CoreValve has been sold in Europe for several years and received FDA approval in January. A federal jury found in 2010 that CoreValve infringed on an Edwards patent. Edwards has sold a rival product called Sapien since 2011 and has battled CoreValve with patent litigation.
Edwards also received multiple analyst upgrades. CRT Capital upgraded the stock to "buy" and increased its price target to $87 from $79. J.P. Morgan (JPM) upgraded the stock to "neutral."
The stock rose 13.82% to $83.06 at 11:32 a.m. on Monday. Nearly 4 million shares had changed hands, well above the average volume of 1,358,590.Must Read: Warren Buffett's 10 Favorite Growth Stocks STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV