NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Coca-Cola (KO) is in bad need of an energy shot-like injection into its vast drinks portfolio. Oh yeah, it should also think harder on building through acquisition a food portfolio in the manner of its chief rival Pepsi (PEP). The food portfolio for Pepsi is allowing it to get out in front of consumers in many different ways around key sporting events and occasions. More discussions on Twitter (TWTR) and Facebook (FB) are being established due to Pepsi being involved in new food products and as a result, it's fostering new avenues of growth.
Not only has Pepsi leveraged the Gatorade name into a performance product line consisting of energy gels, energy chews, protein bars and protein infused drinks, but what it continues to do with its 50% joint venture in Sabra hummus is impressive. Check out how Pepsi has applied a Gatorade expansion attack plan to Sabra (Sabra hummus has about 60% market share in the U.S., versus 24% when the joint venture was struck in 2007), leading to a full domination in the refrigerated dips/spreads section at supermarkets such as Kroger (KR) and Walmart (WMT).
As an investor seeking to determine which consumer products company to add for the long-term, you would want to put a higher grade on a Pepsi that is exploiting new markets (Twitter fact: the "refrigerated spreads" market in the U.S. is now churning out in excess of $600 million annually in sales) and better partaking in the new real-time discussions happening on social media during large events.
Read on for a little tour of the world's food palate. The reason: appeal to as many tastes and party planning options as possible and close the sale.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV