Halcon Resources (HK) Marked As A Barbarian At The Gate
- HK has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $28.0 million.
- HK has traded 4.5 million shares today.
- HK traded in a range 232.9% of the normal price range with a price range of $0.52.
- HK traded above its daily resistance level (quality: 160 days, meaning that the stock is crossing a resistance level set by the last 160 calendar days. The resistance price is defined by the Price - $0.01 at the time of the signal).
Stocks matching the 'Barbarian at the Gate' criteria are worthwhile stocks to watch for a variety of factors including historical back testing and volatility. Trade-Ideas targets these opportunities because the stock is exhibiting an unusual behavior while displaying positive price action. In this case, the stock crossed an important inflection point; namely, 'resistance' while at the same time the range of the stock's movement in price is more than twice its normal size. This large range foreshadows a possible continuation as the stock moves higher. EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in HK with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for HK NOW at Trade-Ideas More details on HK: Halcon Resources Corporation, an independent energy company, is engaged in the acquisition, production, exploration, and development of onshore oil and natural gas properties in the United States. Currently there are 7 analysts that rate Halcon Resources a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and 8 rate it a hold. The average volume for Halcon Resources has been 5.0 million shares per day over the past 30 days. Halcon has a market cap of $1.9 billion and is part of the basic materials sector and energy industry. Shares are up 17.9% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Friday. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. TheStreetRatings.com Analysis: TheStreet Quant Ratings rates Halcon Resources as a sell. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its deteriorating net income, generally high debt management risk, disappointing return on equity, weak operating cash flow and generally disappointing historical performance in the stock itself. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 5003.7% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from -$8.04 million to -$410.39 million.
- The debt-to-equity ratio is very high at 2.20 and currently higher than the industry average, implying increased risk associated with the management of debt levels within the company. Along with this, the company manages to maintain a quick ratio of 0.49, which clearly demonstrates the inability to cover short-term cash needs.
- Return on equity has greatly decreased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of major weakness within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry and the overall market, HALCON RESOURCES CORP's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- Net operating cash flow has declined marginally to $102.32 million or 2.18% when compared to the same quarter last year. Despite a decrease in cash flow HALCON RESOURCES CORP is still fairing well by exceeding its industry average cash flow growth rate of -23.28%.
- Despite any intermediate fluctuations, we have only bad news to report on this stock's performance over the last year: it has tumbled by 42.00%, worse than the S&P 500's performance. Consistent with the plunge in the stock price, the company's earnings per share are down 2425.00% compared to the year-earlier quarter. Naturally, the overall market trend is bound to be a significant factor. However, in one sense, the stock's sharp decline last year is a positive for future investors, making it cheaper (in proportion to its earnings over the past year) than most other stocks in its industry. But due to other concerns, we feel the stock is still not a good buy right now.
- You can view the full Halcon Resources Ratings Report.
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
Every recommendation goes through 3 layers of intense scrutinyquantitative, fundamental and technical analysisto maximize profit potential and minimize risk.
Our options trading pros provide over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.