The bank reportedly picked Goldman Sachs GS and Morgan Stanley MS to help coordinate an offering to plug its 2.18 billion euro shortfall. The board will discuss a plan which will raise up to 2.5 billion euros according to one unnamed source.
The offering likely won't include pre-emption rights for current shareholders.
Must read: Warren Buffett's 10 Favorite Growth StocksSTOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. TheStreet Ratings team rates NATIONAL BANK OF GREECE as a Sell with a ratings score of D. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation: "We rate NATIONAL BANK OF GREECE (NBG) a SELL. This is driven by multiple weaknesses, which we believe should have a greater impact than any strengths, and could make it more difficult for investors to achieve positive results compared to most of the stocks we cover. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its generally disappointing historical performance in the stock itself and feeble growth in its earnings per share." Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- Despite any intermediate fluctuations, we have only bad news to report on this stock's performance over the last year: it has tumbled by 28.82%, worse than the S&P 500's performance. Consistent with the plunge in the stock price, the company's earnings per share are down 87.77% compared to the year-earlier quarter. Naturally, the overall market trend is bound to be a significant factor. However, in one sense, the stock's sharp decline last year is a positive for future investors, making it cheaper (in proportion to its earnings over the past year) than most other stocks in its industry. But due to other concerns, we feel the stock is still not a good buy right now.
- NATIONAL BANK OF GREECE has experienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. We feel it is likely to report a decline in earnings in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, NATIONAL BANK OF GREECE turned its bottom line around by earning $1.98 versus -$27.80 in the prior year. For the next year, the market is expecting a contraction of 92.4% in earnings ($0.15 versus $1.98).
- NBG, with its decline in revenue, slightly underperformed the industry average of 12.1%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues fell by 16.3%. Weakness in the company's revenue seems to have hurt the bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly increased by 95.36% to -$61.40 million when compared to the same quarter last year. Despite an increase in cash flow of 95.36%, NATIONAL BANK OF GREECE is still growing at a significantly lower rate than the industry average of 385.82%.
- 46.25% is the gross profit margin for NATIONAL BANK OF GREECE which we consider to be strong. Regardless of NBG's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, NBG's net profit margin of 39.31% significantly outperformed against the industry.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: NBG Ratings Report
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link reveal their investment tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
Jim Cramer's protégé, David Peltier, uncovers low dollar stocks with extraordinary upside potential that are flying under Wall Street's radar.
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
Jim Cramer's protégé, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
Every recommendation goes through 3 layers of intense scrutinyquantitative, fundamental and technical analysisto maximize profit potential and minimize risk.
Our options trading pros provide over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.