MINNEAPOLIS, April 14, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Given the demand for increased vegetable production, growing interest for locally grown and sustainably sourced produce, and the expanding supply of affordable natural gas, Cummins Power Generation Inc., a division of Cummins Inc. (NYSE: CMI), today announced the introduction of combined heat and power (CHP) generator systems targeted to commercial greenhouse growers in the United States and Canada.
CHP systems from Cummins provide the following benefits for greenhouse growers:
- Electricity for lights and other greenhouse operations
- Thermal energy provides on-site heating
- CO 2 fertilization boosts crop production up to 30 percent
- Surplus energy may be sold back to the local utility
In addition to utilizing natural gas to generate electricity for on-site use, the Cummins CHP system simultaneously produces heat and beneficial carbon dioxide (CO 2) fertilization to help accelerate plant growth.
"Our CHP systems give greenhouse growers a competitive advantage. By converting emissions and waste heat into CO 2 fertilizer and thermal energy, growers can achieve bigger yields with a smaller carbon footprint, and a much improved utilization of resources," said Todd Skjervold, North America General Manager.CHP offers greenhouse growers an on-site, independent power source using systems based on lean-burn, natural gas-powered generators. Through the capture and reuse of waste exhaust heat and CO 2, CHP achieves up to a 90 percent energy efficiency and utilization. Compared to traditional utility- and boiler-powered greenhouses, this results in a 30 percent reduction in the grower's energy costs. Cummins Power Generation has been providing comprehensive, turnkey CHP system management — from sizing and design to installation and ongoing operation and maintenance — for more than a decade in Europe and has installed more than 40 systems to date. More information about Cummins CHP generator systems targeted to the greenhouse market can be found at www.cumminsgreenhouse.com. A b out Cummins Power Generation Cummins Power Generation, a subsidiary of Cummins Inc. (NYSE: CMI), is a global leader dedicated to increasing the availability and reliability of electric power around the world. With more than 90 years of experience, its global network of distributors in more than 190 countries delivers innovative solutions for any power need – commercial, industrial, recreational, emergency and residential.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV