Based on Genworth's claims experience, the average length of a long term care claim is about three years. Assuming three years of in-home care provided by a home health aide, the cost of care would be nearly $136,000. In an assisted living facility, this cost would approach $143,000. In a private nursing home room, this cost would exceed $260,000. At a three percent inflation rate, in 25 years, when many baby boomers will require long term care services, costs for an average length of stay in a private nursing home facility will be about $840,000, a huge expense that most Americans cannot afford.
"It is well known that most Americans do not have traditional pensions and many have saved far too little in their 401(k) plans or other products. For the vast majority of Americans, long term care costs are not covered by Medicare and Medicaid provides coverage only after life long savings have been nearly exhausted. Given these factors, private long term care insurance remains one of the most effective ways for Americans to prepare for this potentially significant expense later in life," McInerney said.
Get Back to Basics: Create a Long Term Care Plan
Long term care planning is about more than just cost and it requires difficult family decisions and sacrifices. Planning today can save consumers from facing a crisis tomorrow. Having the right talk, the right way, at the right time, can ease the emotional and legal pressures of planning for long term care needs.Genworth recommends the following tips regarding long term care:
- Determine what's important. Take time to carefully consider your needs, get educated and talk with your family so you can decide on the most appropriate option for your long term care needs.
- Get educated. As the long term care landscape continues evolving and changing, stay up-to-date on the options available and determine what works best for your holistic retirement plan.
- Plan. Now that you have a better idea of what you want, how much it costs and the key issues, get prepared with a basic plan. Outline your objectives, meet your goals and keep communicating with family.
- Continue the conversation. Look for natural opportunities to talk with family and financial professionals about your plan. Don't try to tackle too many issues at once. It may be easier to have a series of conversations over time. Visit Genworth's Let's Talk website to find tips on how to have a Long Term Care conversation.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV