The iShares Nasdaq Biotechnology Index (IBB) is emblematic of a risk-on environment, and closed below the 200-day moving average for the first time since 2012. The next level of support is around the 200 level.
A further breakout in the iShares Barclays 20+ Yr Treasury Bond ETF (TLT) would signal a continuation of a risk-off environment, as investors flock to safer instruments, pushing yields lower.
What to Look For When Determining Whether You Should BTD or STR We will very likely get a bounce at some point in the next week. The question is, how do you know if it is just a bounce or if we have instead hit a short-term bottom and a new upend will emerge with staying power? Here are some signs to look for when searching for a bottom:
- A distributive day based on breadth indicators as well as extreme volume would give credence to potential capitulation.
- An up day that shows follow through and can sustain itself for more than two days.
- Money coming back into biotechs as well as the Nasdaq and small-cap stocks.
- 20-year Treasury bonds fading.
- CBOE Market Volatility Index sliding back below 14.
- A spike in the put/call ratio.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV