10 Most Expensive Tickets In Major League Baseball in 2014
PORLAND, Ore. (TheStreet) -- Major League Baseball may be still be one of the best values in the land, but try telling that to fans in cities where team owners charge basketball and football prices for the national pastime.
Baseball hasn't had a strike since its World Series-canceling work stoppage in 1994 through 1995 and hasn't locked out players since 1990. The National Basketball Association (which locked out players in 1995, 1996, 1998-99 and 2011) and the NFL (which locked out players in 2011 and referees in 2012) can't say the same. The National Hockey League has lost more than 2,300 games to lockouts and strikes in the past 20 years. Baseball fans, meanwhile, have been rewarded with ticket prices that average $27.93, according to Team Marketing Report.
That's a little more than half the price of an average NBA ticket ($52.50), slightly less than half the cost of a ticket to an NHL game ($61.82) and well below the price you'd spend on any given Sunday in the NFL ($81.54). That doesn't mean MLB is an all-around discount, but it's still a great deal for folks outside of its larger markets. It is, however, 2% higher following a season in which overall attendance and television ratings dropped.
We took a look around the league and found 10 cities where the average Major League Baseball ticket price borders on myth and looked into what each gives fans for their money:
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV