What can a simple egg drop teach a group of elementary school teachers about force and motion? How can rolling marbles down tables illustrate the impact mass has on movement? This summer, 500 teachers from all 50 states and the District of Columbia will learn the answers to these questions and more, as they attend the 10 th-annual Mickelson ExxonMobil Teachers Academy held in Jersey City, NJ, Pittsburgh, PA, and Houston, TX.
The Academy, a partnership between PGA golfer Phil Mickelson, his wife Amy, and ExxonMobil, is an intensive, one-week, all-expenses-paid professional development program that shows teachers how to put a fresh spin on classic math and science concepts using fun, hands-on experiments. Teachers leave the Academy equipped with new lessons, ready to encourage a lifelong love of STEM—science, technology, engineering and math. Since its inception, more than 4,100 teachers have been trained at the Academy, impacting the lives of more than 290,000 students nationwide.
“The Academy gave me the skills and confidence needed to inspire students to become interested in science and math,” said Zohar Badenhausen, a teacher from Massachusetts who attended the Academy in 2013. “Using the real-world ideas and skills from the Mickelson ExxonMobil Teachers Academy, I have been able to engage and excite my students, spurring a new found and energized interest in STEM.”
Mickelson frequently talks about the importance of science in golf, using calculations of force, motion, angles and distance to excel at the game. “Amy and I are extremely proud of this Academy milestone, and one of the highlights of our summer is visiting with and seeing first-hand the impact this program has made on teachers across the country,” he said. “We know interest in STEM subjects starts at an early age, and we’re committed to training teachers to ignite a lifelong learning for these important subjects.”
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV