NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Shares of Gap are slipping after the retailer reported worse-than-expected same-stores sales for March, blamed on the harsh winter weather and the later occurrence of this year's Easter holiday.
Shares of Gap (GPS) are sinking on Friday after the retailer reported worse-than-expected same-store sales for March.
Gap announced after the close on Thursday that its comparable sales for March fell 6% -- worse than analysts' expectations for a drop of 4.7%, according to Thomson Reuters. Results were the worst at Gap and Old Navy stores, which both saw a 7% drop. The company's Banana Republic chain saw a 4% decrease.Gap blamed the bad winter weather and the later occurrence of the Easter holiday in April this year, from March last year, as reasons for the weaker sales. CompanyChairman and CEO Glenn Murphy called March "challenging," but said the company remains confident and reaffirmed its full-year forecast. Looking ahead, Gap warned that its first-quarter gross margins will be lower than last year. The company is set to report first quarter earnings on May 22.
WATCH: More videos from Brittany Umar At last check, shares of Gap were falling about 1.8% to $38.59. In New York, I'm Brittany Umar for TheStreet. Written by Brittany Umar in New York.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV