NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Shares of Corning Inc. (GLW - Get Report) are down -1.59% to $20.44 in pre-market trade after UBS (UBS) downgraded the company to "neutral" from "buy," with a price target of $22.50.
"Following significant outperformance (stock up 19% YTD, 76% since Jan. 2013 vs. S&P/Nasdaq gains of 1%/flat YTD and 25%/33% since Jan. 2013), we believe the stock now appropriately reflects the benefits of the SCP transaction and future growth potential," UBS said in a note.
- Powered by its strong earnings growth of 200.00% and other important driving factors, this stock has surged by 61.84% over the past year, outperforming the rise in the S&P 500 Index during the same period. Regarding the stock's future course, although almost any stock can fall in a broad market decline, GLW should continue to move higher despite the fact that it has already enjoyed a very nice gain in the past year.
- CORNING INC reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past year. We feel that this trend should continue. During the past fiscal year, CORNING INC increased its bottom line by earning $1.34 versus $1.07 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($1.45 versus $1.34).
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Electronic Equipment, Instruments & Components industry. The net income increased by 171.6% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $155.00 million to $421.00 million.
- GLW's debt-to-equity ratio is very low at 0.16 and is currently below that of the industry average, implying that there has been very successful management of debt levels. Along with this, the company maintains a quick ratio of 3.72, which clearly demonstrates the ability to cover short-term cash needs.
- The gross profit margin for CORNING INC is rather high; currently it is at 51.69%. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of 21.52% significantly outperformed against the industry average.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: GLW Ratings Report