Covidien plc today announced that it has notified customers of a voluntary recall to address an issue with certain lots of its Pipeline™ Embolization Device and Alligator™ Retrieval Device where the polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE) coating applied to the delivery wire could delaminate and detach from the devices.
PTFE coating is used to reduce friction between devices and ease navigation through the vasculature. Delamination of the PTFE coating could potentially lead to embolic occlusion in the cerebral vasculature with the risk of stroke and/or death.
Covidien learned of this issue through internal product testing. The company has not received any reports of patient injuries to date related to this issue.
The Pipeline™ Embolization Device is indicated for the endovascular treatment of adults (22 years of age and older) with large or giant wide‐necked intracranial aneurysms in the internal carotid artery from the petrous to the superior hypophyseal segments. The Alligator Retrieval Device is intended for use in the peripheral and neuro‐vasculature for foreign body retrieval.A total of 32 Pipeline Embolization Devices and 621 Alligator Retrieval Devices are affected by this recall. The products were manufactured and distributed from May 2013 to March 2014. This issue involves both the Pipeline Embolization Device sold in the U.S., Australia, France, Germany and United Kingdom, and the Alligator Retrieval Device, which is sold in the U.S., Australia, Canada, Europe and Latin America. Covidien alerted customers to the recall by letter on April 1, 2014, and is arranging for replacement of the recalled products. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and other regulatory bodies also have been notified. Adverse reactions or quality problems experienced with the use of this product may be reported to the FDA’s MedWatch Adverse Event Reporting program either online, by regular mail or by fax:
- Complete and submit the report Online: www.fda.gov/medwatch/report.htm
- Regular Mail or Fax: Download form www.fda.gov/MedWatch/getforms.htm or call 1-800-332-1088 to request a reporting form, then complete and return to the address on the pre-addressed form, or submit by fax to 1-800-FDA-0178
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV