NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Buy the dip or cash out? Investors on StockTwits.com grappled with that question before the opening bell Friday morning after a sharp selloff in all the major indices that left few stocks unscathed.
FUTURES BE4 BED ... $SPX $SPY http://stks.co/q0CLv -- @WallStJesus (@WallStJesus) Apr. 10 at 10:25 PMBut StockTwits.com sentiment called for further declines. Sentiment was majority bearish on the ETFs that tracks the S&P 500 (SPY), Nasdaq (QQQ) and Dow (DIA), according to StockTwits analytics.
"BTD", "BTMFD". So, which dip should be bought? Which pop should be SHORTED? $SPY $QQQ $DIA -- Daniel Marquard (@DanielMarquard) Apr. 10 at 10:28 PMSurprisingly, sentiment was slightly less pessimistic on the ETF that tracks the Nasdaq, (QQQ), than on the S&P 500. The Nasdaq saw the greatest losses yesterday among the most watched indices -- even more than the iShares Russell 2000 (IWM) index of small cap stocks. Only the iShares Nasdaq Biotechnology ETF (IBB) took a harder hit. Some investors said the selloff, particularly in small caps, was overdone.
$IWM they're talking relief rally tomorrow.. -- carol edwards (@Thorgood) Apr. 10 at 05:56 PMStill, many investors argued that the selloff that turned the Dow and Nasdaq negative for 2014 was a sign of the top for the five-year bull market. They said the charts called for more pain and a deeper correction.
$DIA Never be the last BULL standing! TOP!!!!! SAMBO!!!!! http://stks.co/f0UX3 -- Matt Nowicki (@TWTRbull) Apr. 10 at 07:02 PMAt the time of publication the author held no positions in any of the stocks mentioned. This article represents the opinion of a contributor and not necessarily that of TheStreet or its editorial staff.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV