NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Investors are no longer seeing the world through rose-colored 3D glasses. Three-dimensional printing company 3D Systems (DDD) was among the hardest hit technology stocks on Thursday. Shares fell nearly 11% and sentiment on StockTwits.com swung to bearish, with 53% of investors on the site calling for more losses.
Some investors said that the chart indicated 3D Systems could continue to fall as low as $37 per share. The stock closed at $48.78 yesterday.
3D suffers from a broad problem impacting all disruptive technology stocks: investors no longer believe that the growth story was much more than hype.
Remember how hot 3D printing is? I mean was... so last year $DDD stock price 1/2 in 4 months http://stks.co/e0Qem -- blackmarkt (@blackmarkt) Apr. 10 at 01:43 PM3D Systems and competing three-dimensional printing companies such as Stratasys (SSYS) and Voxeljet (VJET) promise to revolutionize manufacturing with the ability to print everything from car parts and shoes to concrete houses. Some companies even envision a future where consumers print their own toys and clothes at the click of a button. But investors now doubt that businesses will adopt new manufacturing methods given the weaker global economy. And that means profit multiples like 3D's 40 times forward 2015 earnings aren't likely justified. Voxeljet shares fell 13% Thursday. Stratasys dropped nearly 7%. China compounded concerns of a tepid U.S. recovery with Thursday's trade data that showed March exports in the world's second-largest economy fell 6.6% from the same period a year ago. The data also cast doubt on last year's reports, which many economists now say were likely inflated.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV