Chris Lau, Kapitall: Will the growth of alternative energy investments spill over to fuel cell stocks?
Fuel cell stocks tear upwards whenever a deal is announced or an acquisition takes place. Others in this sector are less fortunate. Wild volatility greets companies like Ballard Power Systems (BLDP). As long as the positive momentum for the sector continues, it’s anyone’s guess as to when valuations lead these stocks downward.
Plug Power makes acquisition
Plug Power (PLUG) acquired ReliOn, paying for the acquisition entirely in stocks. Plug will pay around $4 million for the hydrogen fuel cell stack technology company. Plug is interested in ReliOn because the latter’s solutions are sold to AT&T (T), Verizon (VZ), and Sprint (S).Read more from Kapitall: Could a Hillary-run benefit the biggest corporate Clinton donors? The deal diversifies Plug’s fuel cell solutions into distributive backup power. Investors clearly liked the deal, because shares traded well above the $6 lows reached in March, 2014. However, there is still upside, as the stock is also trading below its 52-week high. Plug shares are valued at a price-to-sales ratio (PE) of around 42 and a price-to-book ration (PB) of over 200. Conversely, Ballard Power is valued at a PE of 7.81 and a PB of 7.46. Conclusion There is a growth market for alternative energy. If applying hydrogen Fuel Cell solutions in delivery trucks costs less than say, diesel fueled solutions, and then demand for fuel cells will increase. For now, projects implementing this technology will need to weigh the risks associated with trucks having a lower range of travel. If the scalability of fuel cells is there, then the lofty valuation in companies like Plug Power would be justified. Bears appear to disagree: short float for these companies is above 10 percent.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV