SAN FRANCISCO, April 10, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Pacific Gas and Electric Company (PG&E) announced today that it is contributing a $250,000 reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the perpetrator(s) who fired gunshots that caused extensive damage to its Metcalf Transmission Substation near San Jose nearly one year ago.
Over the past year, PG&E's Electric Operations team has partnered closely with federal, state and local agencies to enhance the security of critical substations across its service territory. These efforts include:
- Security guards to provide 24/7 coverage;
- Trimming back undergrowth around substations to remove potential hiding places;
- Fencing and shielding to obstruct views and protect critical substation components;
- Enhanced camera technology; and
- Increased lighting.
"Today's economy and our quality of life depend on electricity. We are committed to taking aggressive action to ensure that our facilities are protected so we can continue to deliver safe, reliable and affordable service to our customers," said Geisha Williams, executive vice president of electric operations for PG&E. "Our job from day one was to work with law enforcement authorities to support their investigations. With this reward, we hope to bring the perpetrator or perpetrators to justice. We would also like to thank law enforcement for their exhaustive work with this case."
In addition to the actions PG&E has already taken at critical facilities, the company is investing approximately $100 million over the next three years on substation security for its highest priority facilities. Among other measures, PG&E's plans include enhanced intruder detection systems and buffer zones through additional fencing.PG&E has also proactively partnered with other utilities and industry associations to share information and identify new and innovative ways to further protect the electric grid.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV